Whether you telecommute or run a home-based business, it’s really important to get your office in shape. Doing so involves making sure you have all the gadgets and supplies you’re going to need to stay productive and on-task. Here are some of the essentials you should invest in….
- A top-of-the-line computer, printer, and high-speed Internet connection. Today’s lightning-fast business world relies heavily on computers so it’s important to choose a high-quality computer. You want something with a large hard drive, a big enough monitor, and the ability to run a variety of software programs. Likewise, you should get a good printer that will produce flawless documents, especially if you’ll be sending out mail. A high-speed Internet connection is also important since so much happens online these days. Without this, you won’t be able to keep on top of e-mail and stay in contact with your colleagues and customers.
- A high-quality stapler. Although a lot of things happen online, you’ll still find yourself dealing with paper from time to time. It never hurts to have a good stapler around so you can fasten your documents quickly and easily. When choosing one, look for a stapler that can handle a decent amount of paper and one that is unlikely to jam up on you. It can also help to select a stapler that can open up so you can pin papers to a bulletin board or other surface.
- A durable combination board. It’s important to stay organized and keep track of deadlines and appointments. A combination board can definitely help you do so. These boards contain both a cork surface (to pin items on) and a dry-erase area which is really convenient. Combination boards come in many different sizes so you’ll be able to find one that’s just right for your office. Be sure to choose one that’s durable so you can use it a lot.
- A high-quality pouch laminator. At some point, you’re going to come across a paper document that you need to hold on to for a long time. That’s when a pouch laminator can be useful. This type of laminator can help you preserve the document so you can keep it in good shape. Also, some pouch laminators can process photographs, mounting boards, and even sticky-back pouches so you can make visual aids. (This is helpful if you have to give a presentation.)
- A reliable paper shredder. A paper shredder is definitely a must-have machine for your home office. Not only can it help your protect yourself from identity theft, it can also help you comply with things such as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). (This is especially true if you have employees or have customers and/or patients.) Be sure to look for one that offers a high level of security (i.e. Levels 3, 4, 5, 6) and can shred a lot of paper at once.
Stocking a home office is easy when you know what to look for. The items listed in this article can help you run your office smoothly so be sure to get some of them for your workspace. Good luck!